Friday 24 February 2012

Diary of an explorer

There's a difference between seeing and believing in what one sees... I guess they are 2 different points of reality.
Many see, few notice, fewer explore ....we let things just pass by ...noticed/ un-noticed

In these last few days I have been traveling to some very remote regions in Jamshedpur.
Regions..I hadnt even heard of before.
The village of "Dobo" across Subarnarekha (Prakhand - Chandil), has changed since I last visited it in December. To look exactly  how far things have changed, I ventured farther away, until I was closer to the forests on the foothills of Dalma.

And I realized...if it were not for the river, urbanzation/ modernization would have affected this area, sooner than it has now, true that the villagers have gained an easy passage to the township by crossing the "River's Meet", as also access to the advantages of modernism. However its also true that it has gained the villagers privacy, that is necessary to maintain their traditions, and ecology. Otherwise large areas of land would have been used up by contractors and promoters.....



Between civilization and wilderness...
 


Matladih = Shankarpur = Dobo = Dholkocha = Dongagaral.......

The experiences have been too ...bizarre....waiting to go back to regions...this time...farther on...I am waiting to get "carried away"...

Negotiating Routes : Ecologies of the Byways III  
http://www.khojworkshop.org/project/12223


3 comments:

  1. Dear Rinku
    Your photos have taken me back to days in 1990-1992 when I would travel from Rourkela to Ranchi through Bundu - with nature to keep me company. Villages would dot the journey and I would enjoy the green undulating hills covered with trees, lakes, springs. Untouched by 'civilization', unadulterated by city life the pictures capture the spirit of people and beauty of innocence. I hope your compilation reaches every one in the country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hoping to go to regions around Ranchi as well, the reason that the areas I wished to focus on are in a state of flux... Airtel dish antennas!!! even children posed with their sunglasses on...
    detached from their roots... their traditions.. half of them couldn't even trace their roots...this has lead me to travel to regions that still remain untouched, and as you pointed out - "unadulterated"... learn more from them while there is still time... who knows how things will end up for them...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember a trip on which the monks of BS Ashram had taken me more than 12 years ago. The jeep was trying to make its way to a village near Chandil on what used to be a road. The abject poverty filled one with hopelessness, but, the work carried out by the monks offered the villagers their only chance at life... a school, looms to provide vocational training and the promise of distributing warm woollen blankets in return for work. But even in such desperate circumstances, their eyes still looked forward to better times

    ReplyDelete